Baby Corz #2 is on the way! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen the news. Or had your suspicions (due to lack of fashion posts and blogging!). And you would be correct!
Nolan with his brother/sister after our 1st ultrasound
Our second sweet blessing is due to arrive mid October, and we couldn’t be more excited! I’m 14 weeks pregnant, and feeling every bit of it! I thought I would share some details with you so feel free to read on about our journey.
LEADING UP TO PREGNANCY
We started thinking about adding another baby to our family not long after Nolan was born (which was in September 2014). We had definitely planned to keep the age gap at around three years, so that our kids would be close enough in age to play together and *hopefully* have a lot in common. But as I’m sure everyone reading has experienced, life happens and I switched jobs in April 2017 to further my career. Having gotten pregnant with Nolan right after starting a new company, I wasn’t too eager to replicate, so we postponed trying to conceive for a little while longer while I found my footing in my new role (and also start to accrue some PTO). In late 2017, my wonderful in-laws decided that the entire family was going to take a trip to Hawaii for their anniversary. Travis and I both thought that either having a brand new baby or being pregnant may not be the most fun during this amazing trip so we planned to push back our plans a little farther.
In January 2018, my best friend asked me to be in her wedding, which was set for November 2018. Of course I said yes! But she also mentioned her plans to have her bachelorette party in Las Vegas. Want to know a fun fact about me? I’ve never been to any dance clubs or been to another person’s bachelorette party. So the hubby and I looked at our plans again and decided we could wait a little longer so that I could have “one last hurrah” with my best girlfriends. The party was in October 2018, and I stopped taking my birth control right after I got back. I also started taking a prenatal vitamin to get those super important nutrients into my system.
HOW WE FOUND OUT
I began keeping track of my cycles so that I would know what was going on with my body. And the waiting game began. I remember being so crushed after my first period and thinking that this wasn’t going to happen, I’m older now than I was with Nolan and it won’t be as easy this time around. Around the end of January, I started to feel a little off, more tired (even though all I had been doing was sitting at my desk all day), and very tender-chested. These are also symptoms I had been getting with PMS and also our household had been passed around the cold so I didn’t want to get my hopes up again. During Super Bowl weekend, we had to run some errands to get T-Ball gear for Nolan and I had a HUGE craving for Chick-Fil-A (not unusual but I just had to have a Frosted Lemonade). I told Travis we had better stop off to get a pregnancy test too because I just had a feeling it was going to be positive. Low and behold, the next morning my Clearblue test came back with the words I had been so longing to hear…
Travis and I were both in disbelief but so very excited! Over the next few weeks, my symptoms increased a bit but it was the oh-so familiar feelings that I had experienced with my first pregnancy… heartburn, some nausea, using the restroom ALL THE TIME, super sense of smell. The hardest part of the first few weeks was when we were around family and I had to think of creative excuses not to drink. I am not a big drinker but I do enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine so I think they may have caught on early when I was “sick” and didn’t want anything other than water.
We were able to schedule our first appointment at 7ish weeks with the OB for the end of February, and waiting to see our little one was torture! And also very nerve-wrecking because you just aren’t sure if everything is okay until you see them on the ultrasound machine. But we were able to breathe a sigh of relief, we had a perfect appointment and got to see the baby growing and hear its perfect heartbeat. After that, we told family and my work (since my job is planned out for the entire year, they need to know so they don’t plan anything for late Fall or Winter). It’s been a whirlwind since then and I’m so excited to FINALLY be able to tell everyone now that I’m officially out of the first trimester. Thank you to everyone who has stuck around while I’ve been MIA and I appreciate your continued support. Stay tuned for more bumpdates.
Here’s a few basic Q&A but feel free to ask me anything:
- Are you in maternity clothes yet? When everyone tells you that your body remembers and you start to show earlier than with your first, you can believe them! My pre-baby pants definitely do not fit anymore but luckily I saved some of my clothes from post-baby with Nolan, so I’m currently just in larger sizes.
- Is Nolan excited to be a big brother? Well, he has been carrying around one of the pictures from the ultrasound and talks to it. But I’m not quite sure he really understands what will happen when the new baby comes. But I’m so excited to see him become a brother because I know he will be so awesome. He’s already my big helper.
- Have you had any morning sickness? Yes and no. I have had a bit more queasy with this baby than I was with Nolan, so I’ve been relying on the less-sodium saltines and Sprite during those rough times. Otherwise, I’ve been pretty okay.
- Do you have any weird cravings yet? Not weird but yes to cravings. Just like with my first pregnancy, I’ve been on a spicy kick. I love tortillas with my homemade sour cream chipotle crema. And maybe a bit more of a sweet tooth so cereal and milk for sure!!
- Are you planning to find out the sex? Yes! I think I’m more excited to learn if it’s a boy or girl this time around, if that’s possible. I opted to do non-invasive prenatal testing (or NIPT) this time around so we should find out the results very soon. My sister-in-law has graciously offered to host a gender-reveal party for us so we will be celebrating soon.